Dr Benjamin CLAYTON. JP
1805 to 1854
Dr Benjamin Clayton was born in Baltinglass, near Dublin, Ireland in 1805, - DEATH - Benjamin died at the age of 49 years on the 15th September 1854 in Balmain, Sydney. NSW - On Tuesday the 14th September, 1847 - Appointed as a JP at Gunning, NSW.
As a young boy of 11 years he travelled to Australia on board the convict ship "Surry" with his father who was a widower.
CLAYTON, Benjamin. Came free per "Surrey", 1816; son of Samuel Clayton, engraver 1821 Oct 30 Memorial (Fiche 3035; 4/1826 No.24). Reply, 13 Nov (Reel 6008; 4/3504A p.60) 1822 Memorial (Fiche 3043; 4/1829 No.56) - (http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/colsec/c/F11c_cl-col-05.htm)
Name B. Clayton
Also known as:
•Dr Benjamin Clayton
•Mr Artist Clayton
Death date 15 September 1854
Death place Balmain, Sydney, NSW
Gender Male Roles
• Artist (Cartoonist / Illustrator)
• Artist (Draughtsman)
Residence •c. 1845- c.15 September 1854 Balmain, Sydney, NSW
•c.1840- c.1850 Windsor, NSW
• 1826- April 1830 Dublin, Ireland
Is Indigenous No Initial Record Data Source
• DAA with additions
1847 - VINE CUTTINGS. - PERSONS desirous of cultivating the Vine in the southern part ot the colony may be supplied at the Baltinglass Vineyard, near Gunning, with the following aorta, viz. :
Gouais Pineau, black
Verdeilho Ditto, grey Black Muscatel Ditto, white Riesling Ditto, pink
Aucatôt Black Prince Stein sherry
Henapod Black Hamburgh , Tinto Malbec. .
As these varieties have been thriving for several years in this situation, they possess the advantage of being in a great measure acclimated to a cold locality.
The charge will be at the rate of 80s. per 1000 for not less than £00 of one variety, or As. per 100. ? ~ '
Application to be made to - MR. STUART, at Baltinglass, - (Ref- The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954)(about) Previous issue Wednesday 9 June 1847)
THE Canberra District wine region of today is generally agreed to date from 1971. However, as in many parts of Australia, there was significant activity in the 19th century. The second edition of Wines of the Canberra District has fascinating insights into the developments that led to 12 vineyards and wineries with 48 hectares of vines by 1874, the high point of activity.
The first vigneron was Dr Benjamin Clayton, who established Baltinglass in 1836. On June 2, 1847, he advertised in a Sydney newspaper that he had 16 varieties for sale, “acclimated to a cold locality”. Riesling was one variety; pineau black (pinot noir?), pineau grey (pinot gris?), pineau white (chardonnay?) and pineau pink (also possibly gris) among the others.
In a pattern repeated in regions across NSW and Victoria, these early developments were snuffed out by the removal of state tariffs, the prolonged “Federation Drought” and the move to fortified wines. - (Ref- The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 - 1933)(about) Previous issue Tuesday 23 September 1873).
1849 - COLONIAL MANUFACTURED WINE. — At the Australian Botanic and Horticultural Exhibition in Sydney, a gold medal was awarded for an excellent red wine, made by Dr. Clayton, of Baltinglass, near Gunning. - (Ref- Bathurst Advocate (NSW : 1848 - 1849)(about) Previous issue Saturday 6 January 1849).
10. A Brief History of the Canberra District - Brian Johnston McKellar Ridge Wines - Introduction - The history of the establishment of grape-growing and winemaking in what is now known as the Canberra District is a story in two parts. The first relates to pioneering efforts of various property owners who grew grapes in the Yass–Gunning area following the opening up of pastoral land for grazing in the area in the early 1820s. The second relates to the establishment of commercial vineyards in the area surrounding the Australian Capital Territory in the early 1970s and the establishment of the Canberra District as we now know it.
It is worth recalling the very early history of grape-growing in Australia. The first commercial vineyard in Australia was the Rose Hill vineyard established at Parramatta from cuttings brought to Australia by Governor Phillip on the First Fleet. In 1791 there were reported to be 3 acres (1.2 ha) of vines growing at Rose Hill. Grape-growing slowly spread as new settlers arrived, some with grape-growing experience. Captain John Macarthur established Camden Park in the early 1820s with more than 8 ha of vines, and that property subsequently played an important role in the importation and distribution of vine cuttings throughout New South Wales and the Barossa Valley.
Early Plantings in the Yass–Gunning Area - The first recorded planting of vines in the Yass–Gunning area was made by Dr Benjamin Clayton, who established a property called Baltinglass in the mid 1830s. He trained for medical practice in Sydney and travelled to London for his medical exams, completing a Certificate of Surgery with the Royal College in May 1828. Following his marriage to Fanny Broughton in 1835, he took up land at Baltinglass about 2 km outside Gunning where he also operated as the local doctor for nearly 20 years. By the mid 1840s, the property was highly regarded, having sheep, cattle and grapevines, as well as a substantive house. It is reported that he cultivated every variety of grape known and experimented in producing wine. He is reported to have produced an excellent Gunning wine that was awarded a medal in France, although details of this award have yet to be fully described. A watercolour of the property made in 1866 shows several acres of vines.
Dr Clayton was not the only Yass–Gunning grape-growing pioneer. Others included John Hardy, who planted grapes at Hardwicke near Yass, Hamilton Hume at Cooma Cottage, Robert Campbell, a Sydney merchant and large landowner who established a small vineyard at Duntroon in the 1860s, as well as a number of others. - (Ref- http://eview.anu.edu.au/wine-symposium/pdf/ch10.pdf).
1841 - Five Pounds Reward Gunning, towards Appin, a HORSE of the following description : Colour dark brown, star in forehead, one hind fetlock white,; docked tail, aged, branded C off shoulder, and co under mane. The undersigned will pay the above reward for the recovery of this Horse; or James Garland, Esq., of HoarTown, Stonequarry. B. CLAYTON. Baltinglass, near Gunning. 10970 - (Ref- The Sydney Herald (NSW : 1831 - 1842)(about) Previous issue Tuesday 15 June 1841).
1855 - FOR SALE BY AUCTION - THE SPLENDID ESTATE OF BALTINGLASS, - situate about 2 MILES FROM GUNNING POST Town, and midway between the TOWNS OF GOULBURN AND YASS, and confuting of 2661 AORES of the finest agricultural and crazing land in THE COUNTY OF KING,
together with the improvements, including Dwelling Houses, with Stabling and other Out-buildings, large Vineyard, Orchard, Wine House, Gardener's Cottage, Kitchen Garden, Cultivation, and Grass Paddocks, 4o, together with which will be given in
100 HEAD or QUIET DAIEY AND OTHER CATTLE,
30 HEAD OF WORKING AND OTHER HORSES,
15 WORKING BULLOCKS.
2000 to 3000 Gallons of Colonial Wine, warranted,
Household Farniture, including Piano.
All kinds of Agricultural Implements, Tools, Drays, Carts, Apparatus fer making Wino, Still, &c, Ac.
With the BALTINGLASS ESTATE will also be transferred to the purchaser 10,230 ACRES of pre-emptive and leased lands, including 8 Sheep Stations, with the necessary hurdles,fence.
TERMS-LOW LIBERAL, being 25 PER CENT, CASH on the fall of the hammer, - 25 PER CENT, CASH on completion of conveyance, - REMAINING HALF by approved bills at one, two, and three years from day of salo, secured upon the property.- (REf - Empire (Sydney, NSW : 1850 - 1875)(about) Previous issue Monday 11 June 1855)
GUNNING.-The residance of Mr. Benijamin Clayton, situate on the banks of the Fish River, was attacked a short time ago, by armed men; they took away a fowling piece, and pistols. On leaving, they told him not to be alarmed, as no violence would be offered to himaself or any person about his premises, but added " that they must borrow his horses a few days on Iartliela,• brlsinssa, and which business, when finished-they would be puting such a place that he (Mr. Clayton) should find them." Several robberies have been committed about the Lachlan River, amongst the rest, the stores of Mr. Harrison of Yass, whose servant in charge had a narrow escape, a ball fired at him having grazed his cheek and daumaged one of his whiskers. Jan. 6, 1840. - (Ref- The Sydney Monitor and Commercial Advertiser (NSW : 1838 - 1841)(about) Previous issue Monday 13 January 1840).
1841 - Valuable Homestead,near Gunning. MR. SAMUEL LYONS will sell by auction, on WEDNESDAY, the 31st of March, 1841, at his Mart, corner of George-street and Charlotte place, Two thousand six hundred and forty one acres of LAND, in the county of King, (purchased from the crown), situated midway be tween Goulburn and Yass, and about one mile from the township of Gunning, where the mail passes and repasses six times a week. This farm (Baltinglass) possesses the incalculable advantage of four miles frontage to the Fish River, and is intersected in other directions by creeks, which are never dry. There are on the establishment a shingled cottage of eight rooms, partly finished, a verandah fortyfive feet long, a detached shingled building contaiuning kitchen, laundry servant's room, and store, with a loft capable of holding three or four hundred bushels of grain, a five-railed fenced stockyard and stackyard, a poultry house, a garden of upwards of four acres and a half, enclosed by a paling fence, and stocked with upwards of one hundred fruit trees, grape vines, etc, having in the centre of it ponds of excellent water. About twenty-five acres of land were in cultivation last season, and produced the best crops in the neighbourhood, which are now well secured. The river abounds with most delicious fish, which are caught of immense size in the summer months.
There are several hundreds of acres of the finest land available for agricultural purposes, being thinly wooded. This farm is wall calculated for a dairy herd of cattle, from its extensive and unfailing supply of the purest water; it commands a very extensive run of government land, which the holder of this farm ensures, by its extensive right to water frontage. The neighbourhood has been long established as one of the best sheep districts in the colony.
The following sheep will be sold with the farm, (station, hurdles, &c., in every way complete). They are of good quality, and have never been diseeased. The young ewes are bred from merino rams; the lambs of last year fromn a Lanicester cross on the merino:
Four hundred and fifty ewes of ages
Four hundred and twenty five ditto, two and a half years old
Five hundred wethers, 3 years old, and choice rams Six hundred and fifty lambs, six months old.
The stocks of grain, wheat, barley, &c., will be given at a low valuntlon. Further partliculars on reference to the auctioneer, Terms at time of sale 4216 - (Ref- Australasian Chronicle (Sydney, NSW : 1839 - 1843)(about) Previous issue Saturday 20 March 1841).
To Blowering Station - Dr B Clayton - Farewell speech - To HOME page