Walter Henry Hood


~Walter Henry Hood~

1910 - FOR SALE. FERRITS, Healthy, 'Energetic Workers'. Apply W HOOD, Yellowin, Tumut. - (Ref- The Tumut Advocate and Farmers & Settlers' Adviser (NSW : 1903 - 1925)(about) Previous issue Tuesday 20 May 1924 Page 5).

1925 - SKULL SMASHED IN. Farm Laborer the Victim - Blowering Farmer on Serious Charge ..... REMAND GRANTED. - SERI0US CONDITION OF ANDERSEN.

Information reached town on Thursday evening last, following on a fquafrel between Walter Henry Hood, farmer, of West Blowering, about 16 miles from Tumut, and Magnus Andersen, aged 22, a Norwegian, employed by Hood, between 4.30 and 5 o'clock, Andersen received shocking injuries to his skull.

An eye witness of the fight says a brawl arose over Andersen jagging the horses' heads when they were drawing logs into the homestead. It was a willing go and Andersen got Hood down and punched him. He let him up and ran away, Hood following in hot pursuit with a stick. He threw the stick at Andersen, who, running towards a fence, dodged the weapon. What transpired from then he was unable to see, as his view was obscured by a shed. The eye witness was called to the scene in a few minutes, and saw Andersen on the opposite side of the fence, unconscious, with his skull smashed in, and a hole in it. What happened he could not say; but the fence, a wire netted one, had a top barbed wire, over which Andersen must have got somehow.

The unfortunate young man was lying with his head against a knotted log of wood. He was removed to the homestead on the sledge used for carting in the logs and his injuries dressed by Mr and Mrs Hood, while the mailman (Mr. Burg) on his route went on to Mr. W. Lindbeck's to bring his car and take the victim to the hospital, the patient being admitted at 6.15.

The injuries to the skull were such that it was found necessary for Drs. Browne and Clouston to trephine it, so as to relieve the pressure on the lacerated brain and on Saturday his condition was such that his depositions were taken by Mr. F. W. Smart, J.p. and C.P.S.

On Friday Hood appeared before Mr. Smart, charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm on Magnus Andersen at West Blowering, and was remanded for eight days. The Police opposed bail, in view of the serious condition of Andersen.

Enquiries last night elicited the information that Andersen was some what improved, but the nature of his injuries preclude any definite opinion being given as to the possibilities of his recovery.

Andersen appeared to be perfectly rational while his depositions were being taken at the hospital, and had a clear recollection of what happened from the time the quarrel began until he came to the fence, after successfully dodging the stick thrown at him. The fact of his body being on the other side of the barbed wire fence, with the head against the knotted or spiked log of wood may offer a full solution of the question of how his injuries were sustained. - (Ref- The Tumut Advocate and Farmers & Settlers' Adviser (NSW : 1903 - 1925)(about) Previous issue Tuesday 25 August 1925 Page 2).

1925 - TUMUT POLICE COURT. - Before Messrs. R. M. Thompson and R. Blakeney, J.P. at the Tumut Police Court on Friday, Walter Henry Hood, on remand, was charged with inflicting grevious bodily harm on Magnus Andersen, at West Blowering. Hood was again remanded. In view of the medical report as to the condition of the injured man who is making very satisfactory progress the Police did not oppose bail, which was fixed at one surety in 100 and self in 100. - (Ref- The Tumut Advocate and Farmers & Settlers' Adviser (NSW : 1903 - 1925)(about) Previous issue Tuesday 1 September 1925 Page 3).

THE WEST BLOWERING CASE - A Grievous Bodily Harm Charge Hood - Committed for Trial


Sergt. J. Vallins conducted the prosecution; Mr. W. Oliver (Fraser and Oliver) for the defence. Sergt Vallins deposed: On August 20 last, at about 8 p.m., I was told something. Immediately went to the Tumut Hospital in company with constable.nblp Jnnns Wnif-pri Hiavp' a while. Then saw accused, Walter Henry Hood in company with a man named Lindbeck. Said to Hood: 'You have had a bit of trouble up there to-day.' He replied, 'Yes; we had a bit of an argument and a few blows were struck.' Accused showed me the mark of a hit over the eye. There were some blood spots about his face. Said, 'We will go to the Police Station, and there got a statement from him.

He said, 'I was going to call there later on. Accompanied accused to the Police Station and got the statement from him. Before getting the statement cautioned him in the usual way.Took the statement down on a typewriter in the exact words accused used. Read it over to him carefully and he signed it. I and Constable Hanley witnessed it. Lindbeck and Constable Jones were present.

About 11 a.m. on August 21, said to accused, 'I arrest you and charge you with causing grievous bodily harm to Magnus Andersen.' He replied, 'That is quite alright, Sergt.' Next: morning, at about 7 o'clock, went to accused. resiueuuti *ii. vvcai. muwwi ing, in company with Constable Hanley and on the road, about 200yds. from the house, saw a fresh clot of congealed blood about 4 or 5 inches in diameter, quite close to the small log of wood (produced, charred, at one end' and with short projecting branches, two points of which were bloodstained, and one with a few hairs on it. The fence near where the log lay was an ordinary wire netted one, barbed wire on top, and plain wire, 8 inches below it, which was 7 inches above the netting. From 11. ~n.i.-./i + X +I11-1 V\fiiO-b#l wire was 4ft. lin. Produce piece of blood stained netting cut from the fence opposite to where the congealed blood was found. Was present at the Tumut Hospital when the dying depositions of Magnus Anderson were taken. One of the nurses gave me a pair, of boots and a pair of trousers (produced), with no scratches or tears thereon. In the paddock, on the other side of the fence to where was the congealed blood, was a log with a drag chain. The log with the hairs and bloodstains on did not appear to nave been there long, and appeared to come from a fire a few yards away. Accused's statement was put in Constable M. Hanley was present at the Tumut Police Station when the accused made that statement. It was given quite voluntarily and without any hesitation. He made no reply when charged with the offence. Was also present on August 21 at accused house. Took possession of the log produced. It could not have been lying in the place where it was lifted from more than 24 hours as the grass was not flattened out. There was just a dent on the surface of the ground and on the grass.

Blood stains were on the log, a few hairs on one of the branch knots. Alongside the log were clots of blood. To Mr Oliver: It was 9 o'clock the morning after the happening we examined the scene. Hood pointed but where the accident happened. Magnus Anderson, farm laborer, deposed. Went to work for Hood on July 1 and and working there on the day of the injury to my head. About 3 p.m. on August 2(C-w;is with two horses drawing a drag chain; Hood was driving them and I was helping him. He told me to unhook the chains. Had to pull the horses back to slacken the chains. Hood sang out to me to leave the b ? horses alone and came up to me and took the reins out of my hands, pushing me aside. He then 'went' for me and tried to kick me. I hit him. He stopped 'then to draw a knife out of its sheath. Didn't give him time to draw it and pulled him down to the ground. He tore my flannel. I got off him and walked a few yards away. He jumped up and got a stick, saying 'You bastard!' and threw the stick at me. It just glided alongside my head. He stooped down to get some more sticks. I started to run towards the fence. Just got through the fence when something hit me on the head and everything went black. Was sure I got through the fence and not over it. vv lien i guL uuuugii uio muuu x was about to make off again (standing nearly straight up on my feet) when something hit me on the head . A fortnight afterwards, in the hospital, my mind became clear as to what happened that day. Remember the Sergeant and two other persons being at the hospital and the Sergt. asking me questions after the happening. Did not give a statement; only answered the questions asked. To Mr. Oliver : Answered all the questions asked by the Police. Remember them asking me questions about the accident. It must have been two or three days after; I could not say how long afterwards. Told them 'the' whole story. They asked we, 'Did you do such and such a thing, and 'did so and so happen,' and I replied 'Yes,' or 'No.' Told them about the first fight I had had. Remember telling them about running towards the fence; did not then remember anything about the fence. Know myself that I did not think anything about the fence. Said I was accustomed to go through the fence under the plain wire. Saw the typewritten statement,' but I didn't read it; the Sergt. read it out to me. Am quite satisfied I said nil that was in that statement. Have been four years in Australia last January; Am a Norwegian. Some of my people reside at Burwood, some at Strathfield. Left my uncle's employ on the Tweed because I wanted to get away from the cows'; cleared out from him. He did not know why I left. Had a row a 'nlontli or two before that. Very seldom fight. Remember it came back to me that I got through the fence, but do. not know! what happened except that a stick hit me, Hood picked up a stick when he started to run after me. Didn't see Hood hit me with a stick, but saw a stick; was standing side ways to the fence.

That was after I had dodued the first stifle nwi and tell the Sergeant I saw a stick in Hood's hand when he was at the fence. Did not think it was necessary. Am leaving nothing of the narrative out; am telling everything. Do not carry a knife; Hood does. Did not see Hood with a knife; one hand was on the sheath and the other on the knife; I saw it when he rose up. When I closed with him I put him down. Did not land a couple of punches on to him. I got him on the eye before he. attempted to draw a knife and then I grabbed him straight away. Did not clear out when I thought he was getting the knife. Mrs. Hood came running up when I had him on the ground. Their little boy was in the paddock somewhore. Burg was also in the paddock; I suppose he saw the scrap; I was not looking at him. I can run fairly fast. The fence from where we were scrapping was 50yds away. Got 5 or 6 yards start of him. in the run for the fence. I hadn't left the fenco when I got the crack on the head. I thought I would dodge it. He threw the stick at me. When I tried to unhook the horses they walked up. I only pulled the horses back once. To the Sergt: Have often quarrel ieu. witn noon, we usea to rouse. Did riot say a word to him ; did not wish to kick up a row. To the Bench: The piece of dry tree Hood had was what I had cut off with the axe myself.

Dr Browne described the wounds found on Andersen when he was admitted to hospital. He deposed: Have had Andersen under observation since that date. He has improved considerably, but the outlook for his future health is doubtful. He is in a fit condition to give evidence today His memory generally is good. ; Anderson, recaueci, saiu to me: P.M.: I put my left foot through the fence first and my right side was to the fence when the stick hit me. To Mr. Oliver: After I got through the fence I raised my body up and my head was well above the fence when I was hit.

J. A. Burg, Tumut to Yellowm mailman, deposed: On August 20 saw a fight at Hood's between Hood and Anderson. Was right alongside them. The quarrel was over horses. They fought at once; heard no quarrel previously. Andersen put Hood ('Snowy') down on his back. He would not get off him. I tried to get him off but couldn't. When they got out of holds Andersen cleared. Hood ran after him. I stopped with the horses. Andersen ran towards the yards, Hood following him. Did not see what happened on account of the corner of the yards obscuring the view. Did not know that Andersen was injured until Mrs Hood arrived from the fence and told me something. Went over to where Andersen was lying. Hood was there and said Anderson was hurt. We got Andersen up to the house and was hed the blood off his face.

Mr Lindbeck came up with his car and took him to the hospital.

Mrs Hood said the fight took place. Never said Mrs. Hood did not come on the scene until the two men turned the corner of the fence. To Mr. Oliver: It is about 10 paces from the fence to where Andersen fell through it.- Andersen was about a chain ahead of Hood when they turned the corner. Hood did not have a stick in his hand. He did not have the log produced. Saw that log first when I saw Andersen the other side of the fence, lying down. From the stait that Andersen had on Hood I could not say if he had, time to get; through, the fence before Hood got to it. There was a fire on the outside of the fence where, the teamsters camped. The log (produced) was nothing under three chains from the teamsters' camp,. on the road. Did not at any time see Hood put his hand around as if to draw a sheath knife. Did not see a sheath-knife on him that day. To the P.M.: Where Andersen was lying it was not six inches from the log of wood (produced) . From the time I lost night of Andersen I did not again see him until I saw him lying alongside the piece of wood (produced) on the other side of the fence. This concluded the evidence.

Mr Oliver said Andersen had given three different versions of the occurrence and the Crown witnesses had given contradictory evidence. He contended there was no case to send to a jury. The P.M. considered a prima facie case had been made out, and formally charged the accused, who pleaded not guilty and elected to give evidence in his own defence. He deposed: I am a farmer residing at West Blowering. Andersen was in my employ. On August 20 we were working in the paddock with two horses and a drag chain. An argument between us arose. Spoke to Anderson sharply for illiising the horses and asked him to leave them to me. Took the reins from him in my right hand and the drag chain in the left hand. Andersen said, 'I'm as good as you any way you like to take it,' putting his hands in a fighting attitude. Said, 'Don't put your hands up to me as you may get the worst of it.' Without another word he struck me over the left temple. Then I dropped the chain and retaliated. Hit at him but do not think I knocked him. He clenched with me. I tripped on rather un even ground in a stumpiholc, and fell to the ground with Anderson on top of me. Andersen was attempting to choke me. Asked him to release me, but he refused to do so. Just then my wife and little boy came on the scene. My boy, 11 years of age, was about 100 yards away in a clump fern with the dogs , after rabbits when the row commenced .

Alice my wife and small boy to pull Andersen off. Whether they did so, or whether he let me up of his own accord, I cannot say, I distinctly noticed my wife's and the boy's legs while I was on the ground. Got up and said to Andersen, 'I'll fight you a fair go;' With that he commenced to run away to wards the fence, exactly 4 chains away. He was between 22 and 25 yards ahead of me. When he came to the fence he attempted to vault it with his right hand on the top of the post. He appeared to trip on the triii nf Mia wiro u'twi full llrinrl fni'D.' most over, the fence; When I got to him he was lying just over, the fence. Noticed he was moving freely from what appeared to be a cut in the head. 1 also was bleeding freely from a cut over the eye blood all down my shirt. As he did not get up I concluded he was seriously hurt and so jumped over the fence and saw that his head was badly cut and he was unconscious. bpoKe to nun, Diit ne cuu not answer.

That was why I knew he was unconscious. Called to Mrs Hood to bring some water. Ultimately took him up to the house and afterwards brought him to town to the hospital. Signed a statement before Sergt. Vallins. Anderson was lying close to fli/\ lArr fiwnrltifnil \ llic limirl !ll most touching it. Did not hit him on the head. Did not attempt to draw a knife on Andorsen; had not a kinfe with me. Did not throw a stick at him and miss him. Never picked up a stick. Did not stand one side of the fence and bash him on the other side with any stick at all. Took Andersen from where he lay near the fence within 10 minutes of the accident. Noticed the log (or limb), produced with blood and hairs on it alongside his head when I shifted him. To Sergt. Vallins: Have been three years in the district,

Dosent have a violent temper no worse than any other man's. .Am not quarrelsome. Have not quarrelled with my neighbors not what you would call a quarrel, but what has not been made up immediately afterwards. Never qurrolled with Lindbeck. We had a difference and shook hands immediately after it; if you can call that a quarrel. Am not sure that I had a quarrel. Did not have a quarrel. not threaten to nose a hole in him; spoke rather sharply to him one day for laying poison about, we had breakfast together a few minutes afterwards, so it could not have been a, quarrel.. Did not.have a quarrel with the schoolmaster, but wrote to the Education Dept. with regard to, his incompetency, Burg was there with us when the fight started. Have a clear recollection of what took place then. Heard Burg give his evidence, and say that my wife and son were not present at the onset. They arrived about a minute later. I would be right in one sense but not in another if my wife made a statement to you that she was not present. My wife and son were both present while Andersen had me on the ground. It would surprise me to hear that my boy said to the Sergt that he didn't hear me and Andersen quarrel and that the closest he was to them was 50 yards away, especially when the Police arrived at 8 o'clock the next morning after we had been up all night without sleep and they were in a nervous state. To the P.M.: Burg may have tried to pull Andersen off me. Accused, Walter Henry Hood, was committed for trial at the Cootamundra Sessions on October 20, after being allowed, self in 100 and two sureties of 50 each. - (Ref- Adelong and Tumut Express and Tumbarumba Post (NSW : 1900 - 1925)(about) Previous issue Friday 9 October 1925 Page 1).

This report is submitted in good faith. All endeavours have been made to make all entries authentic and correct. For any corrections and additional valuable information, maps and photos you may have please contact John

To Blowering Index - To Talbingo page - To Yellowin Index Page - To Front page