Early Pioneers Cream carriers

"EARLY PIONEERS IN THE TUMUT DISTRICT"

Greville's 1872 Post Office Directory

Page 511

Distance 259 miles South of Sydney Mail closes at General Post Office daily 4 pm. Mail arrives at Post Town daily (Tuesday excepted) 4 pm. Mail leaves for Sydney daily (Friday excepted) 4 pm. Mail arrives at Sydney daily 7.15 am. Route - Rail Goulburn, and coach Adelong, 10m. Tumut.

(Ref- Greville's 1872 Post Office Directory ).

SURNAME - CHRISTIAN Name - OCCUPATION - ADDRESS POST - TOWN

AUCTIONEER

BROWN, W. auctioneer Gilmore Tumut

BAILIFF

CARR, James bailiff Tumut Tumut

BAKERS

CRAMPTON, David baker Wynyard St. Tumut

BUILDERS

LINKEY Adolphus bricklayer Wynyard St. Tumut

RAESIDE James carpenter Copper St. Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

HOAD George builder Fitzroy St. Tumut

HAYDEN William carpenter Fitzroy St. Tumut

ANDERSON, Elias carpenter --- Tumut - DEATH - of an early settler in N.S.W.- The Wynyard Times of the 11th January chronioles the death of Mrs. Anderson, one of the oldest residents of Tumut, and relict of the late Mr Frances Anderson, who generally went by the soubriquet of "the Father of the Tumut." Mrs, Anderson was one of the first European females who settled in the district, which was almost wholly inhabited by the aborigines. Delween teven nutt eight ui'inths ago abc had nu attack of pariilytis and never recovered, but has lingered on amist much pain amd weakness, until Saturday morning, when she breathed her last in the 55th year of her age. This good women leaves behind her a large circle of mourning friends, who remembered her when alive for modest and retiring worth. - (Ref- The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954)(about) Previous issue Thursday 21 January 1864)

LINKEY Adolphus bricklayer Wynyard St. Tumut

HOWE John carpenter Tumut Plains Tumut

EBERLEIN, Frederick carpenter Merivale St. Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

EBERLEIN, Frederick carpenter Merivale St. Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

BUTCHERS

DODD, John butcher Russell St. Tumut

DODD, Thomas butcher Russell St. Tumut

FORD Francis wheelwright --- Tumut

LONERGAN William blacksmith Russell St. Tumut

KEENAN Patrick butcher Russell St. Tumut

MARVELL George butcher Russell St. Tumut

REARDON John butcher Wynyard St. Tumut

KEENAN Patrick butcher Russell St. Tumut

BOOTMAKERS

O’KEEFE Patrick bootmaker --- Tumut

HOWARD George bootmaker Russell St. Tumut

MCINERNEY James bootmaker Fitzroy St. Tumut

BLACKSMITHS & WHEElRIGHTS

FORD Francis wheelwright --- Tumut

EGGLETON, Thomas blacksmith Wynyard St. Tumut

EGGLETON, William blacksmith Wynyard St. Tumut

KEEF James bootmaker Fitzroy St. Tumut

KEENAN Patrick butcher Russell St. Tumut

Carriers

HOWE Thomas carrier --- Tumut

MADDEN James carrier --- Tumut

MURPHY Thomas carrier --- Tumut

MCALISTER John carrier --- Tumut

MCCALLUM Duncan carrier --- Tumut

BEALE, John carrier Lucmiluc Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

HOWE John carrier Tumut Plains Tumut

CHEMISTS

THE TUMUT DISPENSARY. L. CASPERSONN, CHEMIST AND DRUGGIST,

CLERGY

TWOMEY Rev. Cornelius (RC) Fitzroy St. Tumut

CLERK

MITCHELL Robert clerk --- Tumut

VERNON Martin clerk Fitzroy St. Tumut

WEEDEN, ,John clerk --- Tumut

COMMISSION AGENTS

SWIFT S. commission agent . Fitzroy St Tumut

H. HILTON, AUCTIONEER AND COMMISSION AGENT, TUMUT. ALSO, PRINTER, BOOKSELLER, STATIONER, AND SEED MERCHANT. A LARGE STOCK OF PERFUMERY AND FANCY GOODS ALWAYS ON HAND. WYNYARD STREET, TUMUT.

CORDIAL MAKER

DOUGALL, Robert cordial maker Gilmore Tumut

DOCTORS

HECTOR James surgeon --- Tumut

LYNCH Robert MD Queensville Tumut

[A CARD] J. HECTOR, SURGEON, &C., TUMUT.

DRAPER

GRIST Louis draper Wynyard Tumut

GARDENER

HORCH Stephen gardener --- TumuT

HOTEL KEEPERS

FITZGERALD Edward Innkeeper Fitzroy St. Tumut

DEAR, Robert Innkeeper Russell St. Tumut

MADIGAN Bridget innkeeper Fitzroy St. Tumut

MCNAMARA M. innkeeper Fitzroy St. Tumut

QUILTY Michael Innkeeper Russell St. Tumut

RITZAN Henry Innkeeper Wynyard St. Tumut

O’NEIL Catherine innkeeper Mundingo Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

MCKAY Richard innkeeper Fitzroy St. Tumut

MCKENZIE Kenneth --- --- Tumut

FITZGERALD Edward innkeeper Fitzroy St. Tumut

KELLY Bernard innkeeper Mundingo Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

JEWELERS & WATCH MAKERS

BROOKS, William watchmaker Fitzroy St. Tumut.

BRIDLE, William sen.BROOKS, Joseph farmer Tarrabundra Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

BUTTER, William farmer Snubber Tumut

BROOKS, William watchmaker Fitzroy St. TumuT

MILLER

WOOLLEY William miller --- Tumut

MINER

CASSIDY, John miner Wynyard St. Tumut

MORRIS Edward miner Russell St. Tumut

MCCALLUM Niel miner Jumper’s Ck. Tumut

PHOTOGRAPHER

BRIDLE, George photographer --- Tumut G. BRIDLE, PHOTOGRAPHER, TUMUT. COPIES OF ALL PHOTOGRAPHS THAT HAVE BEEN TAKEN CAN BE OBTAINED AT ALL TIMES, BY APPLYING TO G. BRIDLE, TUMUT.

BRIDLE, William sen. --- Fitzroy St. Tumut

POLICE

ZOELLNER --- Police sergeant --- Tumut

JOHNSTON William constable --- Tumut

LARKINS Frank constable --- Tumut

POUND KEEPER

WILSON Robert poundkeeper Gilmore Tumut

SADDLIER

HOAD George jun. saddletzroy St. Tumut

SIMPSON William saddler Russell St. Tumut

J. BLAKENEY, SADDLE AND HARNESS MAKER, WYNYARD STREET, TUMUT. ALL DESCRIPTIONS OF LADIES' SADDLES AND RACE SADDLES MADE TO ORDER.

SOLICITOR

ROBERTSON & BARRYMORE solicitors Wynyard St. Tumut

STOCK HOLDER

MCDONALD John stockholder --- Tumut

STORE KEEPERS

NEWMAN Robert storekeeper Fitzroy St. Tumut

TOOHY Martin storekeeper Wynyard St. Tumut

MANDELSON Levy storekeeper Wynyard St. Tumut

THE BEE HIVE STORE, TUMUT.

R. A. NEWMAN, GENERAL STOREKEEPER, TUMUT. WHEAT, OATS, AND MAIZE ALWAYS ON HAND IN LARGE QUANTITIES.

THE BEE HIVE STORE, TUMUT.

R. A. NEWMAN, GENERAL STOREKEEPER, TUMUT. WHEAT, OATS, AND MAIZE ALWAYS ON HAND IN LARGE QUANTITIES.

O'MARA Edward --- Fitzroy St. Tumut

TAILORS

MCKENZIE Kenneth --- --- Tumut

MCLAREN Thomas tailor Wynyard St. Tumut

HOWSE Charles tailor Russell St. Tumut

TEACHERS

BLAIR, Miss teacher --- Tumut

BONYNGE, Thomas teacher Fitzroy St. Tumut

BULL, William teacher Blowring Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

LYNCH M. teacher --- Tumut

MCDONALD Alex. superintendent Bumbowlee Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

MCDONALD John stockholder --- Tumut

LABOURERS

EBZERRY, Patrick labourer --- Tumut

FRENCH Daniel jun. householder --- Tumut

ADVERTISEMENTS:

Area FARMERS

JONES George squatter Toomoorooma Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

JONES Thomas farmer Turrabandra Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

KEESHAN James farmer Bumbowlee Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

KILEY/KELEY Patrick farmer Brungle Ck. Tumut

KILEY/KELEY William jun. farmer Brungle Ck. Tumut

KILEY/KELEY William sen. squatter Spring Ck. Tumut

Kell, James farmer Lucmiluc Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

KELLY Peter farmer Mundingo Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

KENNELLY Jeremiah farmer Lucmiluc Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

KENNELLY Michael farmer Lucmiluc Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

BLOWERING

BEATTIE, Peter farmer Tumut River Tumut

FARRELL Richard farmer Blowring Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

BARNES, Denis farmer --- Tumut

Thomas Sullivan farmer Blowring Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record - generally SULLIVAN on other records.)

BLOMLEY, James farmer Tumut River Tumut

BAWDON, James farmer Tumut River Tumut

BRIDLE, Thomas farmer --- Tumut

BROWN, Edward --- Blowring Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

Thomas Sullivan farmer Blowring Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record - generally SULLIVAN on other records.)

BLOMLEY, James farmer Tumut River Tumut

BAWDON, James farmer Tumut River Tumut

BRIDLE, Thomas farmer --- Tumut

BROWN, Edward --- Blowring Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

HIBBINS William farmer --- Tumut

-

LUSTY Charles farmer --- Tumut

BARNES, Denis farmer --- Tumut

Thomas Sullivan farmer Blowring Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record - generally SULLIVAN on other records.)

BOMBOWLEE

RANKIN Angus,squatter Bumbowlee Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

RANKIN, George, squatter Bumbowlee Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

RANKIN, John,farmer Bumbowlee Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

RANKIN, Mrs Neil, farmer Bombowlee Tumut

RANKIN, Ronald, squatter Bombowlee Tumut

HALLORAN Michael farmer Bumbowlee Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

BRUNGLE

BYRNE, Charles farmer Brungle Ck. Tumut

CLOUT, Charles farmer Brungle Ck. Tumut

CLOUT, David farmer Brungle

MONDONGO

BUCKLEY, William,farmer Mondongo Tumut

BRIDLE, William jun. farmer Mondongo Tumut

CANIGG, John farmer Mondongo Tumut

FAINT, George farmer Mondongo Tumut

DAVIS, Thomas farmer Keefe’s Flat Tumut

GOCUP

HASTINGS John farmer Cocup Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

HAY John squatter Cocup Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

DONOHOE, Michael farmer Cocup Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

HASTINGS John farmer Cocup Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

HAY Sir John squatter Cocup Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

LACMALAC

DAY, James farmer Lucmiluc Tumut - (Note spelling of the original records)

EBZERRY, Christopher farmer Lucmiluc Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

HALLORAN Francis farmer Lucmiluc Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

HALLORAN Patrick farmer Lucmiluc Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

HALLORAN Thomas farmer Lucmiluc Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

DAY, James farmer Lucmiluc Tumut - (Note spelling of the original records)

DAVIS, Thomas farmer Keefe’s Flat Tumut

DAY, James farmer Lucmiluc Tumut - (Note spelling of the original records)

GILMORE

HIBBINS James farmer Gilmore Tumut

CAMPBELL, James farmer Gilmore Tumut

BARNES, Denis farmer --- Tumut

BROWN, W. auctioneer Gilmore Tumut

DAVIS, Thomas farmer Gilmore Ck. Tumut

DEANS, James farmer Gilmore Tumut

DUNN, George farmer Gilmore Tumut

GOBERAGANDERA

ATKINSON, Charles squatter Goberagandera Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

KEEFE'S FLAT

DAVIS, Thomas farmer Keefe’s Flat Tumut

HEALY Thomas farmer Lucmiluc Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

TUMUT

DOWSETT, George farmer Russell St. Tumut

TUMUT PLAINS

ATKINSON, James farmer Tumut Plains Tumut

..

SHELLEY Amelia landowner Tumut Plains Tumut

SHELLEY Rowland farmer Tumut Plains Tumut

SHELLEY George farmer Wermatong Tumut

SHELLEY William farmer Woonoona Tumut

TOMORROMA

CLARKE, Edward squatter Toomoorooma Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

YARRANGOBILLY

BROWNLIE, Alexander Farmer Yarrangobilly Tumut.

YELLOWIN

WILKINSON, John squatter Yellowen Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

WILKINSON, Thomas squatter Yellowen Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record

WYANGLE

BAKER, George farmer Wyangle Tumut

FRENCH Daniel jun. householder --- Tumut

FROST Alfred farmer Wyangle Tumut

FROST Walter farmer Wyangle Tumut

GEARY Patrick farmer Wyangle Tumut <

OTHERS
0

O’MARA Edward --- Fitzroy St. Tumut

RATLIFF Charles --- Walongawah Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record) <0p>ROUSE Edward --- Fitzroy St. Tumut

-

DONNELLY, John farmer --- Tumut

DONOHOE, Daniel farmer Tumut Tumut

-

0DONNELLY, John farmer --- Tumut

D0ONOHOE, Daniel farmer Tumut Tumut

EBZERRY, Patrick labourer --- Tumut

EGAN, William farmer Camp Tumut

GODFREY George farmer Minjary Tumut

GRAVES Hedley farmer Tumut Plains Tumut

GREEN Francis farmer Forest Camp Tumut

GREEN George farmer Tumut Plains Tumut

HARGREAVES Henry farmer Mondongo Tumut

HARGREAVES Richard farmer Woodvale Tumut

HARLOW Patrick farmer Euroban Tumut

HARRIS Hamlyn squatter Toomoorooma Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

HARRIS Thomas farmer Sandy Ck. Tumut

HASSETT John farmer --- Tumut

HAYDEN William carpenter Fitzroy St. Tumut

HEALY Thomas farmer Lucmiluc Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

HECTOR James surgeon --- Tumut

HIBBINS James farmer Gilmore Tumut

HIBBINS William farmer --- Tumut

HICKS William farmer Mundingo Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

HIGGINS Patrick --- Blowring Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

HILTON Henry postmaster Russell St. Tumut

HOAD George builder Fitzroy St. Tumut

HOAD George jun. saddler Fitzroy St. Tumut

HOAD Henry farmer Bumbowlee Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

HORCH Stephen gardener --- Tumut

HOWARD George bootmaker Russell St. Tumut

HOWSE Charles tailor Russell St. Tumut

HOWE James farmer Tumut Plains Tumut

IBBOTSON George farmer Tumut Plains Tumut

ILEST William overseer East Blowring Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record - property sold to Thomas SULLIVAN )

JEFFERY Mrs. John farmer Gilmore Tumut

JOHNSON George farmer Tumut Punt Tumut

KLEIN George farmer Windiwee Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

Korn, John farmer Gilmore Tumut

O’NEIL Felix farmer Bumbowlee Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

ODDY, Charles farmer Tumut Run Tumut

MCALISTER Robert farmer Wereborbuldera Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

McAlister, Thomas farmer Wereborbuldera Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

STOCKWELL John,farmer Gilmore Tumut

STURT, George,farmer Tumut Plains Tumut

SULLIVAN, Florence,farmer Gilmore Tumut

LAMPE, Ottman squatter Talbingo Tumut

LINDBECK Charles ,carpenter Blowring Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

LINDBECK Thomas farmer Mundingo Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

LONG Charles farmer Lucmiluc Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

LOWTHER, Robert farmer Bumbowlee Tumut - (Note spelling of the original record)

LUSTY Charles farmer --- Tumut

MCCORMICK John farmer Gracetown Tumut

MCCORMICK Martin farmer Gracetown Tumut

NAUGHTON, Hugh farmer Tumut Plains Tumut

-

No. 616; 30 Sept., 1856; LYNCH Robert, of Tumut. Co. Wynyard; Tumut; Allot 18; Sect 47; Portion 38; 0a 2r 0p.

No. 617; 30 Sept., 1856; LYNCH Robert, of Tumut. Co. Wynyard; Tumut; Allot 19; Sect 47; Portion 39; 0a 2r 0p.

No. 618; 30 Sept., 1856; LYNCH Robert, of Tumut. Co. Wynyard; Tumut; Allot 20; Sect 47; Portion 40; 0a 2r 0p. Co. Wynyard; Tumut; Allot 18; Sect 47; Portion 38; 0a 2r 0p.

No. 617; 30 Sept., 1856; LYNCH Robert, of Tumut. Co. Wynyard; Tumut; Allot 19; Sect 47; Portion 39; 0a 2r 0p.

No. 618; 30 Sept., 1856; LYNCH Robert, of Tumut. Co. Wynyard; Tumut; Allot 20; Sect 47; Portion 40; 0a 2r 0p.- (Ref-No. 616; 30 Sept., 1856; LYNCH Robert, of Tumut.Co. Wynyard; Tumut; Allot 18; Sect 47; Portion 38; 0a 2r 0p.No. 617; 30 Sept., 1856; LYNCH Robert, of Tumut.Co. Wynyard; Tumut; Allot 19; Sect 47; Portion 39; 0a 2r 0p.No. 618; 30 Sept., 1856; LYNCH Robe

ROAD CONTRACTORS

BELL, A. C. road overseer Merivale St. Tumut

DEAN, Charles road contractor --- Tumut

DEAN, Charles road contractor --- Tumut

This report is submitted in good faith. All endeavors have been made to make all entries authentic and correct. For any corrections and additional valuable information, maps and photos you may have please contact

Web Master: John Stephenson, (Mobile 0431 481 451) Ex West Blowering Resident, now living in Wollongong, NSW. Australia.

To Home page

To Towns & Areas Index

SYDNEY MAJOR FIRE.

Bid CITY BLAZE.

Damage Estimated £100,000, Sydney. Thursday A large seven storey building opposite the Central Railway Station, and occupied by the Williams' Motor Agency, was totally demolished by fire at a late hour last' night, while several smaller places near by were crushed by the falling walls and flames. Explosions of benzine and other inflammable spirits' could be heard for a considerable distance away. Over twenty thousand people viewed the spectacle. Damage is estimated at one hundred thousand pounds.

......

'THE PROGRESS OF TUMUT & DISTRICT' (By Shirley Beed)

The following- is the winning- essay entitled 'The Progress of Tumut and District, " written by Miss Shirley Beed, 14 years-old student at the Tumut Intermediate High School in the essay competition at the recent Tumut Show.

Though it was the wish of the Tumut Ex-Residents' Association who donated the prize money for the competition for the essay to only cover the period in Tumut 's history 1900 — 1942, this stipulation was inadvertently omited from the Show Schedule an all competitors began with the initial stages of the foundation and progress of the town.

Shirley's essay contained a wealth of information concerning recent events in Tumut 's progress, hitherto unpublished in history form, and for that reason was awarded first prize.

In the year 1824 TumuL was discovered as a fertile, limestone valley by the Hume and Hovell exploration party which, at the request of Governor Brisbane, was exploring the area far south of the Sydney district

"Soon after the return of the party Tumut was made known to ambitious settlers and many people turned south..

In 1830 the first white child to be born in the new locality was at Darbalara. The pioneers of these parts of the Colony were marvellous people, who make one proud to think that they were our ancestors. The hardships were bitter and numerous, but the settlers showed an indomitable spirit; so layed the foundation for progress.

"The aboriginals were troublesome and savage and were always causing trouble. Bushrangers were prevalent and Ben Hall, the best known of these, was often in the district. He often, with his band, looted houses and bailed up respectable, good-Iiving families.

"After the discovery of gold many prospectors passing through Tumut decided to settle here. Farms were set up and shops soon appeared. These slab shops cannot be compared with the modern shops of the town to-day. Drays and bullock teams brought all supplies from Sydney, the journey taking three months. Hayes, a shep- herd at Bombowlee, made a record trip in nine weeks. William Bridle (2nd) amazed the town one day by bringing in the first bullock team to come over Talbingo. Nowadays the trip to Sydney can be made in a com- fortable train in twelve hours, or eight, hours by car. A good road now runs over Talbingo.

"The railroad to Tumut from Sydney was completed in 1903. Previous to this, however, after the bullock team period, a coach was run between Tumut and Campbelllown. "Yarrangobilly Caves, fort-two miles from Tumut, were accidentally discovered by J. Bowman in 1834. Later the caves were opened to the public for inspection. Since then a guest-house has been built in an attractive spot, and one of Nature's hot springs feeds a swimming pool. Rules Point, in the vicinity of Yarrangobilly, is noted for its winter snow sports.

"A surgeon., Dr. Clayton, and a blacksmith, T. Anderson, both very important servicemen for the town, arrived in 1838.

In 1847 Mr. Anderson and Mr. Foord built a bridge and toll was suspended.

Mr. Foord with Mr. Moore built the Gilmore flour mill and until 1890 he was wheelwright and undertaker.

"In 1839 Tumut had two policemen, their headquarters being at Cockatoo, further down the river. In the early 'fifties, a lock-up of slab was built where the Court House now stands. Tumut now has its own police force with court-house, lock-up, station and residence. In 1863 Tumut had its first Police Magistrate;

"Also in the year 1839 Timothy O'Mara set up the first public house at Mill Angle. O'Mara later had the Woolpack Hotel built. When the town was moved, however, thirteen hotels were set up. Five of these hotels have been built over and are now very modern with all comforts and conveniences. Liquor making was started here, but has since ceased manufacture.

"Before 1849, when the Reverend P. Fitzgerald (a Presbyterian minister) arrived, Tumut had no established clergymen and was visited by travelling clergymen. Fitzgerald used Tumut as his centre and travelled as far as Wagga to preach. The Presby- terian Church was then in Russell street and in 1881 the present church was erected. The Reverend Fox, the first resident Church of England minister, arrived in 1855 and two years later the first Church of England was established. The present, church was opened in 1882. In 1862 the first resident priest arrived, Father O'Neill. In 1803 tile first Roman Catholic Church was built and now forms part of the Roman Catholic School. In 1878 the present Roman Catholic Church was built and a little after St. Brigid's School was erected. In 1873 the Methodist Church was built in Russell-street.

"In 1852 the Great Flood occurred which did much damage to the old town and which also washed Gundagai away.

It was then decided to move Tumut to its present site.

The first building was a slab hut — the post office built on the present site of the Church of England.

"After this Tumut, having such a set-back, went ahead and in 1866 the first Governor visited the town. He was Earl of Belmorec. The last Governor to visit Tumut was Lord Wakehurst in 1942.

"In 1856 the Registrar's Office was set up by Government order.

In 1858 Elworthy established the Tumut and Adelong Times, which is still printed. Tumut was incorporated in 1887 and a Mr. Brown became the first Mayor. During his term of office the School of Arts was founded, the Agricultural and Pastoral Association was estab- lished in 1875, and the Turf Club of Tumut started to function. The first race meeting in Tumut was held in the early 'fifties and the grandstand was built in 1909.

"In 1861 the Tumut and District Show was held in a wheat shed on the property of William Bridle at Bom- bowlee. Since then a Showground has been built and trees planted suit- ably for shade on the grounds. The first Show 0n these grounds was held in 1876.

"Mr. F. Vyner was the first returning officer for the Murrumbidgee electorate, Wagga, Tumut, Yass, Wentworth and Balranald. The first members elected were Sir John Hay and Sir George McCleay. For six years from 1866 Mr. Brown, Mayor of Tumut, represented Tumut in the Legislative Assembly.

"Education in Tumut is now up to standard and pupils are taught in modern schools by efficient teachers. In the early days children were taught by travelling teachers until Mrs. Large established 'Queen's' private school. The first denominational school was set up at Comely Bank in Capper St. with Mr. Finegan as master.

The new school was in Fitzroy st. and opened in 1869, and in 1875 the residence was built. The school was moved to the present site in 1913. Since then an extra wing, manual room, a portable double room have been added. The sewerage is being connected to the school very soon.

The Parents and Citizens' Association was incorporated in 1908 and has been very beneficial for the school.

"In 1871 the Manchester Unity Oddfellows were formed and in 1879 the Oddfellows' Hall was erected.

This hall was used as a picture show, showing moving pictures.

In 1928 the Montreal was built and in 1930 the first, talkie was shown.

"The Volunteer Fire Brigade was formed in 1902 and was not motorised until 1921. Before it was motorised it was difficult for the men to be quick at getting to the scene of the fire. .

"The Tumut Municipal and Gadara Shire Councils were amalgamated in June of 1928 and became Tumut Shire Council. Since 1928 the Council's improvements to the town have been marvellous.

"In 1914-18 the shadow of war fell over the town and many answered their country's call and some never returned. In 1915 Tumut formed a branch of the Red Cross Society. This branch has never ceased functioning ana is doing marvellous work in con- nection with World War No. 2. Tumut again has sent lads and now young girls are joining the various women's services. We are very proud of these young people and I am sure they will have good fortune.

"The town water supply was aug- mented in 1930, and now that the electric pump has broken down the old steam pump has been put into operation once again. Post-war may bring new installation of another electric pump.

"From 1921 Tumut's electricity supply was run by the Tumut Munici- pal Council. When the lights were being used heavily on Saturday and Friday nights the dynamos, were often overtaxed and lights used often fade out, so some stores customers were served by the light of hurricane lamps. In 1029-30 the current from Burrin- juck was extended to Tumut.

"The Council decided to install the sewerage system in 1937. Tenders were called for in 1938 and in 1941, 24th March, the system commenced to function.

"Cattle saleyards were erected by the Council at the site adjacent to the railway. The first sale was held on 17th May, 1932, when thirteen hundred head of cattle were yarded. The sheep yards were added in 1935 and a movement is now being made by the Council to construct modern pig saleyards.

"O'Brien's Hall was founded in 1900 and in 1942 for sometime the Waverley Christian Brothers used it as the evacuated section of their college. This school has since returned to Sydney.

Also in 1900 O'Brien's freezing works and butter factory was opened. In 1905 O'Brien moved his factory to the site opposite the railway.

In. 1923 Tumut Co-operative Dairy Company renewed this factory and additions have been made from time to time. In 142 additions cost £12,000, features of these being a new condenser tower, new boiler and in- stallation of the most, modern pasteur- isiug equipment. The output of the factory is 32 tons of butter per week. Some of this is exported and sent to England. Much is sent to Sydney.

"In 1900 Sir John See opened the District Hospital. The hospital has had many additions and alterations.

The hospital is in an excellent position, having a commanding view. Extensive remodelling was carried out in 1941.

In 1937 the foundation-stone of new, up-to-date nurses' quarters was layed by Governor Lord Wakehurst 0n the 8th November. As a patient in the District Hospital in 1942 I can only speak highly of the way it is conducted by the present Matron.

"Nurse Lindbeek's private hospital at Adelong has now been taken over by the Board of the District Hospital, as an outpost of the. local hospital. (Taken over in 1943).

"The first engineering garage was owned by O'Brien from 1913 to 1917 and is now conducted by Barbour Brothers in Wynyard .st.

"New tennis courts were erected in 1920-30 in the lower Richmond Park. The bowling green was layed out in 1930 and officially opened in 1932. The combined clubhouse for the bowl- ing and tennis clubs was built in 1932 as a result of a Government grant of £300. Both bowling green and ten- nis courts are lit up for night play.

"The Swimming Pool was taken over by the Council in 1933 and dressing sheds and a diving tower were erected, the latter since being dismantled. The camping grounds were layed out in 1935 and shelter huts were erected. A fee had to be paid by campers in this area after 1938 when the caretaker's cottage was constructed. The picnic grounds at the river provide one with marvellous places to hare picnics in pretty surroundings. An amateur swimmers' club has been founded and the school has yearly sent candidates for Royal Life Saving Society's exam- inations.

"In 1940 the Council layed ont the golf course and a club was set up.

About 1924 the New South Wales Forestry Commission planted a pine forest near to the golf course site. Not long after a school forest was started and trees were planted each Arbor Day.

"About 1902 the first private telephone was installed in the district and No. 1 phone was taken by a subscriber in 1911. Many phones are now in Tumut, even though they are not automatic.

"Tumut Council has done much in beautifying the town. The poplars were planted at Bombowlee in 1861, but not by the Council. However, the Council had the elms at the Race course approach planted and trees planted on many of the roadsides and such-like. A loan was raised by the Council in 1938 and a town improvement scheme was put into operation; tarred roads, concrete footpaths and watertables were put down.

"During 1942 the Council started a movement to construct a memorial park in Lower Richmond Park (below the bowling green). Numerous shrubs and trees were planted there which will add to Tumut's supreme beauty in years to come."