"James Hannibel Rose"
Records show that James Hannibel ROSE held the property then known as "BEEN" Station as early as 1829. In fact it was referred to in the Captain Charles Sturt report.
It is reported that in 1830 the current Governor promised Rose a grant of 1280 acres at "Been" - ~ Aboriginal name for "Goobragandra River" ~ It shows that the Deeds were eventually granted on the 29th June, 1839. And actually is the one and only Free Grant issued in the Tumut Valley.
The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser - 12 March 1839
Colonial Secretary's Office, Sydney, 2nd March, 1839.
The following description of Grants of Land with the names of the parties to whom they were originally promised, or by whom they are now claimed, are published for general information in order that all parties concerned may have an opportunity of correcting any errors or omissions that may have been made inadvertently.
It is requested that within three months from the present date the particulars required by the Government Notice of 1st October, 1338, may be accuratily furnished to this office:-
Surname and Christian names of the person in whose favour the Deed is to be prepared, written at full length, his residence and the intended name of the properly
Also (if required in any name but that of the original Promisee) the grounds of the claim and a letter from the said Promisee, if living, and from all intermediate assigns if any, giving his and their consent and sanction thereto and witnessed by a magistrate, or by a Solicitor of the Supreme Court.
If these be duly furnished and satisfactory, and if no caveate be lodged, or other causes of uncertainty appear the Deed will be prepared accordingly, as soon as possible after the expiration or slated period of three months.
If the required particulars be not furnished within that period, or if a caveat be lodged or other cause of uncertainty arise which cannot be satisfactorily determined by the Government, the case will be referred to the Commissioners of Claims, and the parties subjected to the expense of that proceeding. ......... ........
118 James Hannibal Rose Twelve hundred and eighty acres parish unnamed at Tumut, commencing at a marked box tree on the Goubaragandra River.
Promised by Sir Ralph Darling on the 11th of February, 1830, and possession authorised on 17th May and confirmed 23rd September following as a Primary Grant.
Quit-rent £10.13s.4d. per annum, commencing 1st January, 1838.
Mr Rose later transferred that grant in the same year to Mr George SHELLEY and in fact sold ALL his local Runs in the area to Mr Shelley.- (Ref- page 45 of 1829-1839 of Rhonda McDonald's notes)
Crown land is land that is owned and managed by State Government. It accounts for over half of all land in New South Wales and includes: Crown lands held under lease, licence or permit; community managed reserves; lands retained in public ownership for environmental purposes; lands within the Crown public roads network; and other unallocated lands. Many non-tidal waterways across the State also comprise Crown land as does most tidal waterway land.
Crown lands managed by the Department of Lands (Lands) should not be confused with other forms of Crown or State owned lands such as National Parks, State Forests, State Rail property etc.
Crown land history in New South Wales European land settlement commenced in 1788 when Governor Phillip claimed possession of the land for a penal colony on behalf of the British Government. All lands were vested in the name of the Crown, thus the name Crown lands. The Surveyor General's office was established soon after to administer these lands.
From 1791 to 1831 Governor Phillip, and later Governor Macquarie, issued free grants of land on behalf of the Crown to encourage and advance settlement of the State. Evidence of ownership of these land grants was provided by a document known as a Crown grant.
Through time, the economic, social and environmental needs of land management for the State has been reflected in continuing legislative amendments. In 1825 the system of selling land was introduced, leading to the abolition of free grants for Crown land in 1831. After 1831 land was only sold at public auction and the Governor's discretionary power of refusing applications for land ownership was abolished.
The Department of Lands and Public Works was formed in 1856 to cater for the expanding functions of the Surveyor General's office. In 1859 the Department of Lands became a separate entity.
The Robertson Act 1861 (NSW) made free selection of Crown land possible for anyone. The Crown Lands Alienation Act 1861 (NSW) dealt with the sale of land and the Crown Lands Occupation Act 1861 (NSW) dealt with leasing. The Occupation Act permitted any person to select up to 320 acres of land and purchase the freehold (with the exception of urban land). Prior to this powerful squatters had managed to acquire vast amounts of the colony's prime land through initially illicit occupation. The Occupation Act opened up these squatter held lands for selection by anyone in the colony. The Alienation Act allowed the sale of town and suburban land by public auction.
The Crown Land Acts 1884 (NSW) created a new structure, introducing various new tenures not previously in existence. These tenures included grazing licences, homestead leases, conditional leases, pastoral leases and permits for wharfs and jetties. It was this Act that led to the division of land in NSW into eastern, central and western divisions. Local land boards were introduced in the three divisions in 1886, effectively decentralising Crown land administration.
In 1913 the Crown Lands Consolidation Act was introduced to consolidate all Crown lands legislation to deal with the sale, occupation and management of Crown lands. Current legislation for the administration of State lands is the 1989 Crown Lands Act. This Act was introduced in 1990 to provide a simpler, more streamlined framework for Crown land administration and management. In particular, the current Act reflected increasing community requirements for improved consultation, more appropriate principles for Crown land management, and a more streamlined tenure system. - Ref (http://www.lands.nsw.gov.au/land_titles/land_ownership/crown_land)