An extarodinary women
4. 1860 Fanny Louise BROWN, whose parents were Edward George & Amelia Matilda was born in TUMUT, NSW. - (REf NSW BDM 12832 and Extract from the C/E Parish of Tumut, in the Diocese of Canberra and Mrs Rhonda Roddy). Records show tha Fanny Louise died in 1832 in Tumut, NSW. - (Ref NSW BDM 2172) - DEATH -
Brown, Fanny Louisa (1860–1932)
On February 26th at Sefton Private Hospital, Tumut, there passed to her long rest, Miss Fanny Louisa Brown at the age of 71 years. Miss Brown was the eldest daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs . E. G. Brown, 'The Cottage,' Tumut, and was born at Blowering on August 2nd, 1860. Her earliest years were spent at Old Blowering homestead where she received her education from governesses and tutors. Mr. Brown brought his family to live in Tumut and for some years occupied the brick cottage in Bombowlee Lane now the home of Mr. John Lee. Miss Brown was a very popular young girl full of life and activity, an enthusiastic dancer and skater and a daring horsewoman. She was a regular competitor in the Tumut Show ring taking her horse over the hurdles with professional ease. But her life was a well balanced one. Being the eldest daughter of a family of twelve, from an early age she took a full share of responsibility in her home life. As a public woman, Miss Brown, was capable and conscientious. When her father, in the year 1866, was elected as a representative in Parliament, and also during his term of office as Mayor of Tumut, she was often called upon to fulfil public duties. She laid the foundation stone of the pavilion at the Showground and accompanied her father as hostess to Lord and Lady Jersey on their visit to Yarrangobilly Caves in the year 1888.
She gave her devotion and talents freely to her church, singing in the choir and taking a prominent part in all Church efforts, and was all her life a faithful and devoted worshipper.
When the tower of All Saint's Church was nearing completion, Fanny Brown went with Mrs. Spencer, the Rector's wife, in a basket to the top of the spire and hammered the last nail in.
When the family grew older and Mr. Brown died, Miss Brown took up artistic furnishing and upholstering as a profession; and she was the proud owner of a certificate signed by Lady Stonehaven for the best-made arm-chair exhibited at the Womens' Exhibition at Melbourne.
Of late years she became an expert, in various kinds of handicraft, from dainty silk embroidery to perfectly made eider-downs, and up to the month before she passed away she was enthusiastically preparing for an exhibition of women's work for the Tumut Show which opens today.
A few weeks ago Miss Brown became suddenly ill and Dr. Clouston was called in. It was then found that an immediate operation was necessary, which was performed by Dr. Clouston, assisted by Dr. Harbison, at Sefton Private Hospital, when the utmost care and attention was bestowed upon her by the two doctors and Sisters Wilkinson and Harris.
The operation was successful, but the vitality was not sufficient to stand the strain, and gradually and peacefully she sank to rest conscious and thoughtful for others until the last. In every relationship of life—as daughter, sister, and friend of Fanny Brown's— it may be said that 'She hath done what she could,' and did it well. We believe she has passed to her rest, but for her it should be a rest of perfect equilibrium and balanced activity in the bosom of God.
Rest is not unquitting the busy career,
Rest is the fitting of self to its sphere.
'Tis loving and serving the highest and best
'Tis onward, unswerving, as that is True Rest.
Four brothers and six sisters survive. The brothers are Messrs
Edward Brown (Albury),
Arthur (Sydney) and
Walter (Perth, W. A.), and the sisters
Mrs H. H. Crouch (Tumut),
Mrs. Gwynue Reid (Lismore),
Mrs. Allan Maun (Sydney),
Mrs. Semer Cook (Asquith)
Misss Ethel Brown (Sydney),
Mrs. R. Dibbs. (Bowral.),
Miss Rosie Brown, 'The Cottage,' Tumut.
The funeral took place on Friday at 5 p.m. The Rev F. W. Rettie, Rector of All Saint's Church, conducted a short service at 'The Cottage,' speaking laudatory of the exemplary life of deceased and the great, service she had rendered to her Church and the town and district, the burial being in the Tumut Old Cemetery alongside, the graves of her father and mother.
The notice of the funeral was short, but wreaths and other floral tributes came from many other parts of the State besides from innumerable friends here, attesting to their deepest, sympathy at her demise.
The pall-bearers were Messrs Edward sr (brother) and Edward jr. (nephew), Noel and Verne Harris (cousins), and A. N. Stacy and John Elliot. - (Ref- Original publication ?Tumut and Adelong Times (NSW), 1 March 1932, p 4).