John (2nd) Hartshorn

John & Caroline Hartshorn

"John (2nd) & Caroline Hartshorn"

Property Details:

Zone - Rural

Portions -

Acres -


John (2nd) HARTSHORN, born 1828 in Parramatta, NSW. His parents were John (1st) Hartshorn & Ann Ruse Kiss.


John (2nd) died in 1918, aged 90 yrs in Yellowin, via Tumut, NSW - (Ref NSW BDM 5897/1918).

HARTSHORN. An old reildem of Call Blowering, near Turnut (N.S.W.), Mr. John Hartshorn, died recently at the age of ninety yeas. - (Ref- The Farmer and Settler (NSW : 1906 - 1957)(about) Previous issue Friday 21 June 1918 Page 4).


The chilly hand of death has swept away to the Great Beyond several of Tumut's pioneers of late, and the last (by many to be considered the oldest),is in the person of Mr. John Hartshorn sr, who passed away on Monday last at the age of 90 years, the cause of death being senile decay. For the past two years or more he had been quite invalided, and death must have been a happy release to the poor old fellow.

Born in Parramatta, N.S.W, he came to Tumut with his parents when 12 months old. The site of our present town, he said, was for years after a blacks' camp, and the first town settlement was contiguous to the present showground, with one store, one inn and a blacksmith's shop.

He grew up a vigorous youth and became quite an artist in the act of self defence. As one of his erstwhile comrades remarked on the occasion of his funeral, "he was the hardest customer in the world to beat; he would fight all day." His mate for many years was the late Mr. Thomas Eggleton, of Blowering, and they carried on splitting and fencing together for years.

A laughable incident in the career of deceased was a wager layed by the late Messrs W. Buckley sr, W. Eggleton and W. Hayden, of 5, that he would mortise 100 huge gum posts with two holes in each in a day. The late Mr. John Howe and another took up a bet that he could not. The work was done at 4 p.m., and "Jack Payne" (as the departed one was known as locally) started to fight an old identity known as "Squarking Jack," after which numerous irrigations followed.

The subject of our obituary married a daughter of the late Mr. John Norton, who kept the 'White Horse' Hotel, at the corner of Fitzroy and Richmond Sts, and the result of the union was seven daughters, viz,

Mesdames Hoston (Wagga),

Hoosher (Sydney),

G. Bawden (Upper Adelong),

Jas Graham (Blowering),

P. Spuraway (Sydney),

Geo Allatt (Mt Horeb) and

Miss Bertha Hartshorn (Blowering),

and three sons, viz,

Messrs Albert (Tarrabandra), and

James and


These, with a sorrowing wife, are left to mourn the loss of a fond father and a devoted husband. His remains were interred in the Church of England portion of the new cemetery. Mr James Elphick was the undertaker and Rev O. E. Burgess officiated at the grave. = (Ref- Adelong and Tumut Express and Tumbarumba Post (NSW : 1900 - 1925)(about) Previous issue Friday 21 June 1918 Page 3).


In 1874 he married Miss Caroline Norton,(Ref:- NSW BDM No. 3996/1874). Caroline was born in 1859 - (Ref- NSW BDM 13018/1859) to parents JAMES & MARY HENRIETTA NORTON in TUMUT. She died in 1942 in Tumut NSW - (Ref- NSW BDM 13673/1942).

It would seem from records that John & Caroline worked in the Blowering area for some years. Q....Where did they live?

CHILDREN born to John (2nd) & Caroline in Tumut

1. 20555/1875 Albert George A Hartshorn parents JOHN & CAROLINE in TUMUT b: 12 Oct 1875

2. 21591/1877 Rebecca Amelia HARTSHORN, parents JOHN & CAROLINE in TUMUT - 12 Dec 1877

3. 1880 - Henry John HARTSHORN was born on the 5th January, 1880, in Tumut, NSW - He died on the 26th January, 1881, in Tumut, NSW - (Ref - NSW BDM 10891/1881).

4. 28452/1882 Elizabeth HARTSHORN, parents JOHN & CAROLINE in TUMUT In 1904 she married William L Atherton in Cootamundra, NSW - (Ref- NSW BDM 6368).

5. 1884 Eliza Anne HARTSHORN in Tumut, NSW

6. 34724/1886 Maryetta HARTSHORN, parents JOHN & CAROLINE in TUMUT born on the 3rd February, 1886.

7. 36575/1888 Alice Jane HARTSHORN, parents JOHN & CAROLINE in TUMUT married Bawdon.

8. 34819/1891 Charlotte C HARTSHORN parents JOHN & CHARLOTTE in TUMUT - shows in a West Blowering School Photo early 1900's. - In 1912 she married Mr Robert D S USHER, in WAVERLEY - (Ref- NSW BDM 11749/1912). - DEATH - Corporal R. D. Ussher, of Blowering, was killed in action at the Dardanelles. A telegram was received by Senior-Sergt Costello announcing the sad fact, and Rev. R. E. Davies broke the news to the fallen soldier's wife, nee Miss Hartshorn. - (Ref- Adelong and Tumut Express and Tumbarumba Post (NSW : 1900 - 1925)(about) Previous issue Friday 25 June 1915 Page 2).

9. 35523/1893 James W HARTSHORN parents JOHN & CATHERINE in TUMUT

10. 8031/1896 George Edward HARTSHORN, parents JOHN & CAROLINE in TUMUT - shows in a West Blowering School Photo early 1900's.

11. 35161/1898 Bertha Florence HARTSHORN, parents JOHN & CAROLINE in TUMUT - shows in a West Blowering School Photo early 1900's. She married in 1920 to Charles F SAALFIELD in HAMILTON, NSW - (Ref- NSW BDM 4635/1920).

- IN the early part of my narrative I mentioned Mr Henry Hoad, of "Rose Farm," Bombowlee, as being in his day the best breeder of draught stock Tumut had. I am now introduce to my readers the breeder in the best blood stock line, in the perann of Mr Chas Edwin Guy, father of Mr G B Guy (Brungle) and Chas Guy (Blowering). Mr Guy, was a gentleman by birth, was a native of Tasmania, and on the parly fift he went to try his luck at the Bendigo diggings and did fairly well. In 1857 he essayed to come to Tamut, and his belongings were brought over by team driven by Mr J Hartshorn (of Blowering). He leased land on Tumut Plains and went in for farming and horse racing, training Billy Morgan, Electricity, and Archer, all good goer. He bred Fisherboy and First Love, and also raced Drummer Girl, by The Drummer, which he bought from Andrew Towns. He was a true and consistent sport and resolutely set his faco against any "hanky panby" busmess. After remaining on Tumut Plains for about four years, he went to Brungle and, selecting there sold out to a man named Nixon and purohaaed the property owned by Mr G B Gny and Mrs F Guy.

At Brungle he devoted himself to mixed farming, stock rearing, horse breeding and racing. During his years residence at Brungle he invested in blood stalions and breeding. The first sire he introduced was Louis Napoleon, then Angler, Wjnatay, Bylong, Livingstone and Grosvoner. The first of the progeny he raced at Brungle was old Josephine, by Louis Nepoleon. He had also of his own breeding Beeswing, Brongewing and Lap wing by Rioter); Young Josephine (by Wynstay) and Empress (by Angler). Beeswing won about 19 matches out of 20. Mr Guy's main aim was the improvement of his blood stock, and in this particular he was eminently successful, being ably supported by his worthy sons, George, Ghas and Frederick. He took a keen interest in racing, was true as steel to he many friends, and as a oitizen and a man was worthy of emulation. But, alas like many of our early pioneers, "the race was not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong." His old comrades were Messrs I G Brown, Bob Dear, Harry Butler, M M'Namara, Charlie Baker, Levi and Norman Delson and numerous others sportingly inclined, who were eyewitnes fes of miny a hard-fought battle he waged on the turf.

In 1855 his life's dream ended. Driving out in his buggy and tail of fiery horses, he was thrown from the trap at Bjttn'u Creek, ami there remained for sometime in an unconsoious state. He was brought in to town to Mr T Dodd's place (then near Dr Mason's present dairy) and afiet three weeks' patient lingering he passed away beyond the portals of Time.. As Shakespeare said:

He was a man, take him for all in all;

I shall not look upon his like again.

Mr John Corry, of Wynyard Street, Tumut, came out from his native land, Ireland, in 1862, and entering the employ of Mr Shankey Moore, near Greendale, worked there for three months. Leaving that situation, he came to Tumut aud worked for Mr Michael Qailty, licensee of a wooden building known as the Tumut Inn, on the site of the commodious structure owned by Mr P Cruise and carried on under the sign of the Globe Hotel, in Russell Street. For about 15 mouths he continued with Mr Quilty, but getting, like many others in his day, an attack of gold fever," shifted to try his luck on tbe Goobragandra or Little River, at that time famous for its yield of the precious metal. He spent nearly two years in alluvial workings it was all box-sluicing in those days, but he was only partially successful, so he turned his attention to quartz-mining on the famed Lacmalac Beef. This reef was claimed to have been discovered by two men, one named Lynch and the other Fitzgerald but the latter was given the credit to it. It happened this wise Fitzgerald was on foot and crushing the little creek near the deserted shal, went down on his knees to get a drink and noticed an apparent band of gold in tbe quartz under the stream. The news of the disovery soon spread, the property was e oured and returns of gold as high as, 20oz to the ton were won by the Heefer Battery at Adelong. As a consequence, numbers were attracted to the locality and claims were pegged oil far and wide, The original property eventually fell into the hands of a company, whion erected a battery there, but so managed was it that it feil into disrepute, and to-day lies abandoned. But it is un doubtedly a true fissure vein and it would cot be surprising to see it worked to good advan tage. It was this reef that Mr Corry, in company with Messrs Thus Keefe, Martin Mulqueeny, the late P Denny (Adelong), John Bea.osr, W Hargreaves stand WHar: greaves jr turned their attention lor about 18 months with indifferent results. " High jinks" were oarrioa ou there and a lot of monej was spent. There were two hotels on tbe ground, one conducted by Mr Mionae Malone (brother of Messrs E, F, 'X' and 1' Malone, of Tumut plains and the other by a man named Smith from Adelong. About 15 years ago the famed Wallace, of Melbourne, In treaty with the late Mr Thomas Nestor, agreed to put on a l!U-head stamper battery, but the ground not being applied for another party seourqd it and asked fOOj to clear out. This was enough for Wallace, who refused to do anything further in the transaction. Later Mr Nestor and a man named Chadwick (long since dead) took up the property and worked it for a considerable time, but the country was so hard and the water so troublesome that they eventually gave up the venture. This injiassing. The subject of our history, after 18 months quartz mining then went into the employ of Mr W B Smith, of Darbalara and remained with him for 0 years. His brother, the late Mr P Corry, had been there three years previouely. He next came to Mr John Givney's, near the Brungle Bridge, and worked there about 8 years. Thence be entered the employ of Mr Archie Stuckey, remaining with him for about 7 years. Being of steady, sober and industrious habits he persevered and amassed a moderate capital,and about 17 years ago settled in Tumut, purchasing the very desirable town property known, as 'Ivy Cottage' from Mr John Taylor and he and his brother entered into partnership. They put it into order, reconstructed the building and fences' and until very recently carried on a capital vegetable garden. The partnership being severed by the death of his brother. Mr Corry leased the garden, retaining the residence and grazing land, and lives in comfortable retirement, - (To be continued) - (Ref- The Tumut Advocate and Farmers & Settlers' Adviser (NSW : 1903 - 1925)(about) Previous issue Tuesday 19 April 1910 Page 2).

This page is under construction, please contact John on 0431 481 451 or with any additional information.

To Blowering Station - To Home page