William (st) Wilkinson

William (Convict) & Margaret WILKINSON


Thomas & Elizabeth


Run No. - 182


1838 to 1966

Portion No.s -

LAND - 25 Square Miles at the beginning.

Entery gates to the Yellowin area.

hich included the large property named "YUKON PARK".

Crown Leaseholders and their Runs in New South Wales. - THE following is the concluding portion of a list of all the squatters and Crown leaseholders in the colony, with the names of their runs and the rent in each case for the present year : - MURRUMBIDGEE DISTRICT - Wilkinson J. & I. Yellowin £30 - (Ref- Australian Town and Country Journal (NSW : 1870 - 1907) Saturday 2 July 1870).

1848 - RUN No. 182.

Wilkinson John.

Name of run,


Estimated area, twenty-fire square miles. Estimated grazing capabilities, six hundred cattle. Bounded on the south by the Tumut River; on the north, east, and west, by lofty ranges. - (Ref- The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842-1954) Monday 16 October 1848).

Catherine Ryan arrived in NSW on the convict ship 'Brothers' in 1824 and spent some time in the Parramatta Female Factory. By 1830 Catherine was living at Liverpool with a widower, William Wilkinson, and his three young children, John, Thomas and Elizabeth. In 1830 a son, Henry Wilkinson, was born, followed by another son, Edward Wilkinson, born at Gundaroo in 1834. By this we assume the family moved to Gundaroo in the early 1830s. - (Ref- Val Wilkinson.)

Records show that the three Wilkinson teenagers who settled in the southern end of the Blowering Valley actually started out from Gundaroo, NSW, an area miles away from Tumut. Their father had arrived in the colony in Sydney as a convict in 1818 (about a year after William Bridle) who was to become very involved with his desenants in the mid 1800's in the Talbingo - Yellowin areas south of Tumut, NSW.- (Ref. Adelong Argus, 1904)

Mr.Thomas WILKINSON said, "In 1838 I left Gundaroo and rode up to Tumut accompanied by BOYD who drove a bullock team. My sister came up also with BOYD's wife on a cart...." also another brother John WILKINSON came too after they all had a disagreement with their step mother. - (Ref:- http://gundaroo.info/genealogy/genealog.htm)

Apparently after the early death of their mother from a drowing accident in Sydney - John, Thomas and Elizabeth Wilkinson could not get on with their new step mother and decided to move on and relocate to greener pastures. Their father had given them a heard of cattle as a starting point and they travelled to Tumut in company with Mr Thomas & Mrs Boyd and settled in the Gilmore Valley. Then after a dispute over the land they had selected they were moved on by Mr Henry Bingham - the local Commissioner of lands and land owner in Tumut.

So an area of about 25 square miles was to become their home in the neighbouring valley in Yellowin - which is at the top end of the Blowering Valley.

What an exciting proposition for a very young set of brothers and sister.

Yellowin Early Map

"Yallowan" as the area was first known, is now known as "Yellowin" is another very rich farming area situated at the southern end of Blowering Valley, with a long Tumut River frontage.

In 1838 John aged (17 yrs), Thomas aged (14 yrs) & Elizabeth (aged 12 yrs) WILKINSON took up the Yellowin Run which was an area of 25 square MILES of which a high proportion was mountain country.

As the years passed the three brothers and sister established a very successful property, they settled into their new community and married local partners.

John (1st) Wilkinson married Miss Elizabeth McAlister in Yass, NSW, in 1847, (Ref:- NSW BDM No. V1847589 3) - Yellowin

Thomas (1st) Wilkinson married Miss Susanna Bridle in Tumut, NSW, in 1847, (Ref:- NSW BDM No.0000).

1850 - Elizabeth WILKINSON married - William (2nd) BRIDLE in - MI Church of England Gundaroo, Gunning, Yass - (Ref- NSW BDM V1850451 36B/1850). & lived in Bombowlee.

Wilkinson Births & Deaths in the Tumut area.

Yellowin Public School was on a 2 acre block - (Ref- P.114 - Resumed Gazette 21.8.1912).

"Yukon Park,"Yellowin

The early resumptions at Jones's Bridge, Wermatong and the Yellowin areas are * Indicated in a report listed in the NSW Government Gazette on 9th July 1965. This being their official notification of a date to restart their futures.


The attention of all parties interested is directed to the notioe in tho GOVERNMENT GAZETTE, dated the 9th instant, Intimating that the several undermentioned Pre-emptive Purchases have been approved, vie.,

MONARO DISTRICT.-Robert Tooth and the representatives of the late £. Tooth, Kemoraka, 180 acres, £181; 160 acres. £161.

MURRUMBIDGEE DISTRICT.-John Hone and George Day, Little Billabong, 3S8 acres, £365 18s. ; J. Wilkinson, Yellowin, 320 acres, £321.


* Philip Rolf WILKINSON - 587 acres and

* Estate of the later Henry G.W WILKINSON - 310 acres and

* Ronald Cedric & Frederick Thomas & Vere L. WILKINSON - 1250 - (1600?) acres and

Estate of the late J. WILKINSON - 12 acres and

*Vincent E. TOWNSEN & Alexender W. WITHERS - 148 acres and

*Eric Harold LUND - 1202 acres and

*Peter K. LUND - 1497 acres and

*Gunther G.U. KELLER - 520 acres and

*Richard L. MATCHETT - 760 acres - Records of the Victorian Gazette of 1962 - List of Unclaimed monies - held by Western Union Mining Co in name of Richard L Mathett, of Talbimgo NSW - the sum of $12.70 on page 2. First date payable was on 29.10.1976.


1865 - The neighbourhood of "Yellowin," near Adelong, is infested with native dogs, not the pure dingo, but a crossbreed, which are very ferocious. A Mr. Wilkinson has latterly lost several calves, and even yearlings are attacked and devoured by these rapacious brutes. - (Ref- The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842-1954) Thursday 21 September 1865).

1937 - DEATH - WILKINSON.-June 4, 1937, at private hospital, Wagga. John Wilkinson, of Yellowin, Tumut, beloved husband of Beryl Wilkinson. - (Ref- The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842-1954) Saturday 26 June 1937).

1870 DEEDS OF GRANT available.

Title Deeds available for delivery upon payment of £1 Deed Fee.

Note - There are TWO roughly alphabetical listings as they appear in the Gazette.

[Government Gazette, 8 November, 1870, pp.2479 - 2507.]

(Rusheen Craig - 27 August, 2006.)

No. of Deed (not all copied); Date of Deed of Grant; Name of Grantee and address. County; Parish or Town; Allotment; Section; Area in acres, roods and perches.

No. - ; Sept., 1856; WILKINSON John, jun. , of Yallowan. Co. Wynyard; Tumut; Allot 3; Sect 10; Portion 7; 0a 2r 0p.

No. - ; Sept., 1856; WILKINSON Thomas Henry, of Yallowan. Co. Wynyard; Tumut; Allot 6; Sect 10; Portion 71; 0a 2r 0p.

No. - ; Sept., 1856; WILKINSON John, of Tumut. Co. Wynyard; Tumut; Allot 20; Sect 18; Portion 20; 0a 2r 0p.- (Ref- http://www.dcstechnical.com.au/Rusheen/1.0_People.htm)

This report is submitted in good faith. All endeavours have been made to make all entries authentic and correct. For any corrections and additional valuable information, maps and photos you may have please contact John

The Web Search this website only

To Blowering Index - To Talbingo page - To Yellowin Index - To Front page


The marriage of Mr Sydney Wilkinson one of Tumut's respected townsmen and aldermen youngest son of Mr. Jas. Wilkinson, of Yallowin with Miss Ethel Sorensen, of Woollahra, eldest daughter of Mr. N. 0. Sorensen, was quietly solemnised at St. Mathia, Woollahra. on Wednesday last, the celebrant being the Rev. Mr. Gillett.

The bride was led to the altar by Mr. A. H. Watts, of West Blowering Station (in unavoidable absence of her father) Mr. J. T. Wilkinson, of Springfield, acted as groomsman. The bride looked charming, attired in a tasteful dress of cream cashmere, with silk maltese lace trimmings, and white chiffon fischu, edged with bebe ribbon; white horse-hair hat, trimmed with chiffon and white ospreys, and she wore a pearl necklace and diamond brooch, the gift of the bridegroom, being attended by two bridesmaids — Miss Lily Sorensen (bride's sister), who wore a dress of cream cashmere, trimmed with white silk, white leghorn hat, trimmed with moire ribbon ; and Miss Barbara Atkinson, who wore a pretty dress of white silk and hat to match. Each bridesmaid wore emerald heart brooches, set in pearls, the gift of the bridegroom. After the ceremony the wedding party adjourned to Matupi House (residence of the bride's parents), where light refreshments were served.

The happy couple left by train in the evening for Katoomba, amid showers of rose loaves, etc., and the hearty good wishes of their friends. The bride's travelling dress was of fawn cloth, trimmed with silk ostrich boa, hat and gloves en suite. We wish our young friends every happiness and prosperity in their future life. - (Ref- Adelong and Tumut Express and Tumbarumba Post (NSW : 1900 - 1925)(about) Previous issue Tuesday 16 April 1901 Page 3). and that he was fortunate that he was not charged with Allen.

Allen was convicted and fined 20/, with 10/- costs.